Monday 27 June 2011

Daring Bakers Baklava Challenge!

Erica of Erica’s Edibles was our host for the Daring Baker’s June challenge. Erica challenged us to be truly DARING by making homemade phyllo dough and then to use that homemade dough to make Baklava.
 
I decided to use a bread maker to mix the dough


This was an interesting challenge for me as id never made my own pastry before, let alone 18 incredibly thin layers of filo(as we call it in Australia) pastry and id never attempted making baklava either! But it was definitely an enjoyable challenge and worked out pretty well, and by the limited pieces of baklava remaining im fairly sure my family enjoyed it too!



I made a filling of brown sugar, pistachios, almonds, walnuts, dates, cranberries and all spice


My syrup was a combination of golden syrup, maple syrup, all spice, a cinnamon stick, lemon juice and water.

Warm out of the oven!


 

Thanks Erica for a great challenge!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm super impressed that for your 1st pastry you made filo pastry I have to say that your final results are wonderful. Well done on this challenge.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllo is one heck of a way to cut your pastry making teeth, great job!

    Jo
    www.cairnsmanor.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, the maple syrup in sounds like a great addition! Congrats on a successful challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job on the challenge! love your final presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job on the challenge, your baklava looks great!

    ReplyDelete